In this article, we will learn about maintaining a bow string where we discuss the importance and benefits of waxing a bow string, how to wax a bow string and in the end, I will list the best bow string wax available for purchase.
Bows are of different types and irrespective of the type of bow we may own, they all require regular maintenance to ensure that they are functioning at their finest.
If we take a look at a bow, one of its most important parts is the bow string. It can be regarded as the engine of the bow, as it will propel the arrow when we shoot it. Thus, to keep our bows functioning properly, we need to maintain its bow string.
The best way to maintain a bow string is by waxing it using the best bow string wax available.
As we all know archery equipment can be expensive so its best to take good care of it, making it last a lifetime instead of months. But same as when we are looking for a great pair of rubber boots, you need to find that fits you and your requirements, so lets jump into this list!
1. Bohning Tex-Tite Bow string Wax:
- Designed especially for synthetic fiber bowstrings
- Bohning textile bow string wax is a natural based wax...
- This product is manufactured in United States
The first product I have chosen is the Bohning Tex-Tite Bow string Wax. This is a high-end best bow string wax made using only natural ingredients which gives it superior strength and durability than the other bow string waxes.
The Bohning Tex- Tite is a waterproof wax which makes it suitable for all kinds of weather, and it comes with no odor as well. Applying it on to a bow string is also pretty easy as it lubricates very easily.
Since it is a high-end bow string, it is more on the pricier side. However, if you are looking for high quality, no compromise wax then this makes a case for one of the best bow string wax.
· More on the expensive side · Isn’t as tacky as its competitors · Can become a bit messy during application
This bow string wax is a tried and tested product making it a classic and recommended choice.
The wax is made from natural ingredients which are mango, kokum, and shea, and this allowing it to withstand numerous weather conditions, and it does not freeze as well.
The wax is also odorless, making it an ideal option for outdoor hunting too. Applying it is also super easy as it comes with an applicator. The best thing about this wax is that it is offered at a very affordable price, making it accessible for all.
· All natural ingredients, Easy to use, Weatherproof and Odourless
- Prevents Bow String feathering
- 100% waterproof & odorless
- Made of a precise blend of wax, Grease & oil - not a...
The third bow string wax I have chosen that makes it in the list of best bow string wax is the 30-06 Outdoors Bow string Wax.
I have chosen this because it offers a lot of value, and still, manage to carry a very affordable price tag. It is made up of a blend of oil, wax, and grease, which makes it odorless and waterproof.
Another great benefit I found on using this wax is that it is shown to increase the performance of the bow.
Another thing which I experienced after applying this wax is that it offered a smoother shooting experience. Though this wax is an affordable and budget-friendly option, it still brings with it a lot of improvements making it the best bow string wax for the price.
· No odour and waterproof
The last bow string wax which I have shortlisted for the best bow string wax is the Mossy Oak Bow string Wax.
This wax makes it to the list of the best bow string wax because it has great outdoor capability and is a solid all-rounder making it a very versatile wax.
Using the wax is also simple and easy as it comes in a push tube and working with it in room temperature is also easy. It is also inexpensive and makes case the best bow string wax for people who are into outdoor activities.
This is the bow string wax for my best crossbow and the mozzy oak bow string wax has served it well for years.
Pros: Highly versatile, Good outdoor performance, Easy to use, Very affordable
Cons: Can become stiff at time and Is more on the dry side while applying.
Best Bow string Wax Buyers Guide
The market is now filled with a lot of high-quality bow string waxes; therefore, choosing the best bow string wax can seem quite challenging. There are a few factors which we need to keep in mind, and they are as follows.
1. The Scent of the Wax: When looking to buy a bow string wax, we will notice that they are offered in different scents. However, it is best to get unscented wax, rather than scented ones.
If we use a scented wax, an animal might be able to detect the scent making it a challenge to hunt. On the other hand, if we are not using it for hunting, then we can use any scented wax.
2. The Wax container: We find that wax containers come in different shapes and sizes, and as such, its ease of use also depends on its design. The best bow string waxes carry the tube design and are lightweight, portable and easy to apply.
As such, based on your needs, you can either choose a pocket-friendly wax, or a much larger one.
3. Waterproofing: The next thing we need to keep in mind is to make sure that it is waterproof and can hold up to the elements. Getting your bow strings wet is not a good idea since it can damage it. Therefore if you plan on getting a bow string wax, a waterproof one is the best option.
4. The Price: Price is another factor. We see that bow string waxes are offered at different price points, with some being very affordable while others are more on the expensive side.
One thing to keep in mind is that its price doesn’t necessarily make it better than the others. Therefore, while searching for the best bow string wax out there, the price should not be the only factor.
The above are a few factors which we should be kept in mind when looking to make this list. Besides these, there are still numerous factors; however, the above mentioned will help us get the best bow string wax based on our own needs.
Why should you wax your bow string?
Modern bow strings are generally made of synthetic materials which include plastic, nylon, polymers and other light metals.
The materials used are durable and strong, but it doesn’t mean that they will hold forever. They are eventually bound to wear and break at some point, however, waxing the string regularly will increase its lifetime.
If we look at the strands of a bow string, it is made of multiple small strings, which are held together. However, over time, they tend to separate from each other and start rubbing against each other, causing damage over time. The wax will keep these strands together, preventing further damage.
Bow strings are made of modern materials; however, they are not immune to weathering. When exposed to water, dirt, humidity, they accumulate in it, which makes it heavy, thus affecting its performance and longevity. If the bow string gets too dry, it is prone to breaking. We find that the best bow string wax, tend to be weatherproof and provide all-round protection to the bow string.
As is seen from above, waxing our bow strings is essential, and they carry multiple benefits as well.
What are the benefits of using bow string wax?
1. Reduced Wear and Tear: The first benefit we see upon using bow string wax is that it significantly reduces wear and tear. When we use our bows to shoot an arrow, the bow strings are subjected to a high amount of pressure, which causes wear and tear.
2. Increase in Lifespan: Secondly, the best bow string wax will greatly increase the lifespan of the bow strings. The best bow string wax carries multiple benefits, and these include its capability to hold the strands together, protect it from dust, water and humidity.
3. Ease of use and portability. The process involves applying the wax on the bow strings and then using our fingers to lubricate it and then it’s done. It is also very easy to carry around as it comes in either a small tube or container, thus taking up little space and is a hassle-free.
4. Increase in performance: The performance a bow delivers is one of its most important attributes, and we find that using the best bow string wax increases the performance. Upon waxing bows with the best bow string wax, they become easier to hunt with, are much safer to operate and are also prone to less damage. All these combine to give you stellar performance when using it.
The above are some of the major benefits we get to see when we start maintaining our bow strings with the best bow string wax. As such if you are interested in learning how to apply the best bow string wax to your bow strings, I have prepared a guide to help you on the said topic.
Clean the bow string before waxing it
Before, we start applying wax to a bow string; the first thing that needs to be done is to clean it. If you have a new bow string, then this step is not required. If your bow string is dirty, applying even the best bow string wax will add little to no improvements to the bow.
Cleaning the bow string can be done by simply taking a string, cord or any similar material and then wrapping a loop around the top of the bow string. After this pull both ends of the string and then drag it downwards the string. When you do this, you will see dirt and debris starting to accumulate, and once they are removed, we can start applying the bow string wax to our bow.
How to apply wax to a bow string
We will now take a look at how to apply the wax to a bow string in a detailed manner. I have written this step by step guide which will take you through the process of applying the bow string wax to a bow string.
The first thing which we need is to acquire all the necessary gear required. The things needed to apply wax to a bow string are as follows:
1. A Bow string.
2. A Bow string Wax.
3. A Piece of string, cord, or floss.
Before we start applying the bow string wax, we need to ensure that the bow string is clean, in good condition, while also ensuring that its servings are intact. After this is done, we can proceed with the steps.
Step 1: The first step involves taking the bow string wax and then applying it across the entire length of the bow string from top to bottom. While applying, we need to make sure that the wax is being applied all around the string and not just on one side. It should be applied on the bow string only and not the other parts.
Step 2: The second step involves melting the wax so that it can be absorbed by the bow string. This is done by rubbing along the bow string with the help of our fingers. The wax will melt equally upon rubbing and is easily absorbed by the bow string.
Step 3: Step three involves removing any excess wax that is left behind after applying it. This step is similar to cleaning the bow string and involves wrapping a loop around the string and then pulling both ends of the string downwards. The wax will clump together in a uniform manner when it is cleaned.
Applying wax to a bow string as such is a very simple and easy affair, requiring very little skills or time. So there is no excuse not to do it and taking care of your bow string.
How often should we wax our bow strings?
We have established that waxing our bow strings is of utmost importance, but how often should we wax our bow strings? The answer may vary based on the user and the quality of the wax as well.
As such, there is no definite answer. However, it is recommended to wax our bow strings after a few sessions. I always check my string after each session to see if its time to wax it or not. It’s better to maintain the string than replacing it.
The Best Bow string Wax
The next step is for us to get the best bow string wax, which will suit our needs. However, the market is now flooded with a lot of bow string waxes, making it hard to find the ones which are worth using.
Therefore choosing the best bow string wax can become quite a struggle. Thus, to help get it, I have selected a few of the best bow string wax of varying price points available in the market, and have highlighted its pros and cons to help you decide which among them qualifies as the best bow string wax.
The process of selecting the best bow string wax was not an easy process, and we had to take in a lot of factors while narrowing down the best bow string wax available on the market.
What we found is that If a high end, no compromise bow string wax is what you want then the Bohning Tex-Tite Bow string Wax is the one to get.
As for the recommended best bow string wax, this title would go to the Scorpion Venom because it ticks all the boxes and comes at an affordable price and the best bow string wax for the price would go to the 30-06 bow string wax.
Andy Ryan is an archery enthusiast who has been practising hunting and target shooting as long as he can remember. He is known for his accurate groupings and humming laughter. His texts are packed with experiences and knowledge about the archery sport that few obtain.